10 lbs ground pork or sausage
3 lbs ground fat back
13 slices white bread
4 Courtland apples, diced fine
2 bulbs fennel, diced fine
bacon to line Pullman pans
heavy cream (to make a panada)
thyme, sage, salt and pepper to taste
• Grind fat back and pork together with fine blade.
• Sauté the apple and fennel together with some of the herb, just until translucent.
• Put the apple mix through the grinder and mix with the pork and the remainder of the herb. Add the egg and the panada, blend well.
• Line a couple of Pullman loaf pans with the bacon and add the pate mix. Be sure to get all the air out.
• Place fresh bay leaves on top and fold the bacon over.
• Cover with foil and bake in a 170° water bath at 300° until an internal temp of 155°, about 1.5 hours. Uncover about halfway through.
• Drain off excess fat and weight down. Cool to below 40°, remove from pans. Trim and slice.