For the lentils:
2/3 cup black lentils, dried
3 cups water
For the spring vegetables:
2 each heirloom baby carrots, yellow, tops removed, peeled, shaved
2 each heirloom baby carrots, red/orange, tops removed, peeled, shaved
4 each asparagus, top 2″ shaved, bottoms peeled, rounds shaved
1 cup sugar snap peas, blanched, chilled, drained, ps cut, separated to expose peas 1 cup baby arugula, packed
1 cup California walnuts, toasted, chopped
For the vinaigrette:
1/4 cup California walnuts, toasted, chopped 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup
1 teaspoon orange zest
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin, whole, toasted, ground
1 teaspoon coriander, whole, toasted, ground 1/2 teaspoon rose water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the seasoned beluga lentil mixture:
2 cups black lentils, cooked
1/4 cup vinaigrette
2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the yogurt sauce:
3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons milk, 2% Kosher salt, to taste
For the Aleppo oil mixture:
3/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper, ground
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook lentils for 20–25 minutes.
- Check for doneness, drain, and chill with cold water until lentils are cool to the touch. Fully drain, cover, and set aside until ready for use.
- For spring vegetables: Place all mixture ingredients in a clean container and toss lightly. Keep covered with a damp paper towel and store in the refrigerator un l ready for use. Before serving, toss lightly with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette and use immediately.
- For vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a non‐reac ve bowl and season to taste with kosher salt. Set aside un l ready for use.
- For seasoned beluga lentil mixture: Combine cooked beluga lentils and vinaigrette in a non‐reactive bowl. Toss lightly until lentils are coated evenly. Season to taste with kosher salt. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready for use.
- For yogurt sauce: Combine all ingredients in a non‐reactive bowl and season to taste with kosher salt. 2. Set aside until ready for use.
- For Aleppo oil mixture: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat, and let steep for 10–15 minutes. Place Aleppo oil in a stainless steel container, let cool, cover, and set aside un l ready for use.
- To assemble: Dollop 1 tablespoon yogurt sauce onto a chilled plate. Fan the sauce out into a 4″ circle. Using a 31⁄2″ ring mold, center on top of yogurt sauce. Place 1⁄2 cup seasoned beluga lentil mixture and press down with the back of a spoon to set lentils. Top with 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted walnuts. Remove ring mold slowly, taking care not to disturb the lentil mold. Toss 2 tablespoons vinaigrette with spring vegetable mixture and lightly toss until all vegetables are evenly coated. Place 1⁄4 cup seasoned vegetable mixture on top of chopped walnuts. Drizzle with Aleppo oil and reserved vinaigrette.
Recipe courtesy of California Walnuts.