During quarantine, Eva Barrios, CEC, Executive Chef of Royal Oaks CC, has made sure to have cheese, bread, eggs, milk and butter on hand.
In March 2020, when Eva Barrios accepted the position to be Executive Chef of Royal Oaks Country Club in Houston, Texas, she had no idea her first days would be filled with building up an integrated response plan to COVID-19 challenges. Despite all the hurdles, she’s found a new normal, and is ready to confidently steer the club into the future.
- During the quarantine, I made sure to have these five foods with me: cheese, bread, eggs, milk and butter.
- You’d be surprised to learn that I am good at sports.
- If I could trade places with one chef, it would be Ferran Adrià.
- My last meal would be anything prepared by my mother.
- If I could change one thing about my new club, it would be to add two sets of stairs leading down to the purchasing coolers.
- My favorite junk food is cheese sticks.
- If I wasn’t a chef, I’d love to be an engineer or an actress.
- You’ll never see uni on the menu at my club, because I simply don’t like it.
- When I’m not in the kitchen, I’m spending time with my son, Ethan, and our puppy, Porcini.
- My biggest mistake when I first started as a chef was to take things personally.
- My favorite celebrity chef is Gordon Ramsey, because of how passionate he is about food.
- My go-to drink is malbec.
- The most important thing in my kitchen is teamwork.
- If I could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, it would be my son. I enjoy how he critiques food.
- The most valuable piece of advice I’ve ever received was treat others how you want to be treated.
- I want to learn more about the stock market, because I would like new ways to invest in my son’s future.
- My favorite ingredient is sweet smoked paprika. Truffle oil is the most overrated ingredient. Cloves are the most undervalued ingredient. I detest dijon mustard as a spread, and I can’t live without butter and sugar.
- I don’t like to brag, but I taught myself how to swim and how to drive.
- My most embarrassing moment in the kitchen was when I was cooking about 40 pounds of green beans. I closed the lid and ruined all the beans for the event.
- My favorite book is The Flavor Bible by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page.
- My favorite kitchen hack is to use cheesecloth to maintain moisture in fish fillets.
- I am motivated and inspired by my son and by making others feel special and cared for.
- I cook Frito pie at home, but I’d never cook it at the club.
I love being a club chef because clubs provide a feeling of family and teamwork. Members care for their employees beyond the business side of it.