Submitted by California Table Grape Commission
Yield: 30 skewers (6” size)
1 1/2 Tbsp. garam masala, ground
1 1/2 Tbsp. curry powder, spicy
3 cups yogurt, plain
1/2 cup yellow onions, minced
1 Tbsp. garlic, fresh minced
1/4 cup lime juice, fresh
1 ½ Tbsp. sea salt
2 Tbsp. turmeric, ground
2 Tbsp. cilantro, fresh, finely chopped
2 lb. chicken breast, trimmed
8 cups red seedless California grapes
30 each wooden skewers, 6”
1 pan Seasoned Basmati Rice with Roasted Grapes
For Marinated Chicken Skewers:
- Soak skewers in water and reserve.
- Toast curry powder and garam masala in dry pan, stirring constantly until it begins to smoke. Reserve.
- In small bowl, mix yogurt, onions, garlic, lime, curry and garam masala mixture, salt, turmeric and cilantro.
- Cut chicken in 3/4” to 1” cubes and mix with 3 cups of marinade; chill for 1-2 hours. Reserve remaining marinade.
- Skewer chicken, alternating each piece with grapes skewered lengthwise. Reserve for cooking.
For Seasoned Basmati Rice with Roasted Grapes:
4 cups basmati rice
6 cups water
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt (more if desired)
3 each bay leaf
1/4 tsp. clove, ground
1/2 tsp. cardamom ground
2 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
8 cups green seedless California grapes
- For Rice: Rinse rice under cool water until water runs clear. Place in sauce pan, cover with water, add salt, bay leaves, clove, cardamom and 1/2 the oil. Bring to a boil for 1 minute, mix and cover with lid. Reduce heat to low, cook for 20 min. Remove lid, fluff and remove bay leaves. Reserve.
- To Finish: Heat grill/barbecue to medium. (If grill is not available, skewers may be roasted in oven.) Place chicken skewers on well-seasoned and oiled grill. Cook on both sides until cooked through. Brush with reserved, fresh marinade, if desired. Toss the “rice” grapes with a pinch of salt and remaining oil and roast in oven for 5 minutes; gently fold into the rice and place in serving pan. Arrange cooked chicken skewers and remaining grapes in pan on top of Basmati rice. Brush with any remaining marinade, and garnish with cilantro and green onions if desired. Set out for service.