Chocolate Hazelnut Ricotta Pie
Submitted by Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Yield: 12 servings
For the Crust:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup hazelnuts, finely ground
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut in chunks
7 to 8 Tbsp. cold water
- Combine 2 1/2 cups flour, hazelnuts, 3 egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, butter and water in bowl or food processor. Pulse (or, alternatively, mix with paddle attachment of mixer) until dough forms a ball.
For the Filling:
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk, divided
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 ozs. (approximately 1/4 cup) bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped 1/4 cup FrangelicoTM hazelnut liqueur
1 cup (8 ounces) Wisconsin ricotta cheese
Pinch of salt
1 egg white, beaten stiff
Whipped cream for garnish, optional
- Beat 3 egg yolks with 1/3 cup sugar until light in color. Add 2 tablespoons flour, 3/4 cup milk and cream. Cook mixture in double boiler, stirring constantly until thick.
- Stir chocolate with Frangelico into the mixture in double boiler until chocolate melts. Cool. Combine with ricotta and pinch of salt. Fold in the beaten egg white. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 10-inch pie pan. Roll out 3/4 of the dough into a circle and line the pie pan with an overlap. Pour in filling.
- Roll out remaining dough and cover pie. Press overlap of bottom and top crusts together. Crimp edges with fingers or fork. Beat remaining egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of milk and brush top of pie with mixture.
Bake until golden brown, approximately 35 to 45 minutes. Cool pie and cut in 12 wedges to serve. Top wedges with whipped cream, if desired.