For the Marinade:
1⁄4 cup honey
1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped, including stems 2 teaspoons jalapeno, minced, plus seeds for more heat 1 teaspoon lime zest, grated
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
For the Garnish:
1 tablespoon jalapeno, thin sliced rounds
4 lime wedges
- In a medium sized bowl combine honey, lime juice, 1 tablespoon of cilantro, jalapeno and lime zest.
- To enhance the flavor of the cumin, heat in a small skillet set over low heat, stirring, until warmed and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add to the marinade, in addition to salt. Stir to blend.
- Add shrimp to the marinade. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
- When ready to grill select 4, 12inch skewers. Thread each shrimp through the tail and head portion onto the skewers, dividing evenly. Lay on a platter and spoon the remaining marinade on top.
- Heat grill until very hot. Grill shrimp until lightly charred on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon any remaining marinade over the shrimp and turn raw side down. Grill just until the shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Arrange on a clean platter and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, thinsliced jalapeno, lime wedges and cilantro sprigs. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of National Honey Board.