The second annual Club + Resort Chef Cookbook features a showcase of club chef-written recipes from some of the most notable leaders within this unique segment of the culinary world, including five Certified Master Chefs.
Chef’s Thoughts is sponsored by barrillafs.com.
All Boats Rise With The Tide
Connecting with other chefs is an integral part of our profession. But over the past year, our ability to do so has been severely curtailed—and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
While it makes sense to keep our physical distance, there’s no reason we must stop sharing ideas with one another. Especially because networking continues to remain an important ingredient in the success of our clubs and kitchens.
Though the physical elements of our role are demanding, staying mentally acute is often the tougher challenge. As chefs, we must consistently expand and develop our repertoire, so we don’t become stale. We are all looking for innovative ways to stay fresh, awake and alive. Being able to spend time with colleagues cooking, enjoying a meal or drinks, or just sitting together exchanging ideas and letting off the pressures of the job, like we do at the annual Chef to Chef Conference, is crucial to keeping the creative juices flowing. Until we can do those things again, we must get creative.
We will continue to adapt to today’s unusual dynamics and my hope is that the magazine you’re reading will provide a bit of inspiration for your menu writing in the interim.
There are times when I sit to create a menu, recipe or special, and the page becomes a brick wall. I stare at it for hours and get nowhere. Other days the recipes flow effortlessly.
Maybe you’ll find a recipe in the following pages that inspires you to reinvent a classic like I did with our grilled steak and spinach salad (see recipe here). Or maybe you’ll remember a dish from your childhood that can be made modern like my Paccheri Giovanna (see recipe here). Or maybe you’ll “steal” a dish from a colleague and add your own twists.
No matter how you use it, the pages ahead are filled with inspiring dishes made by some of the best chefs in our industry. I would like to thank all of these contributing chefs for their ideas and willingness to share.
I can guarantee I will be “stealing” many of the dishes in this issue and making them my own.
My hope is that all club chefs reading this cookbook will do the same.
J. Kevin Walker, CMC, AAC
Executive Chef, Ansley Golf Club, Atlanta, Ga.
Chefs Featured In This Issue Include:
- J. Kevin Walker, CMC, AAC, Executive Chef, Ansley Golf Club
- Olivier Andreini, CMC, Executive Chef, Bentwater Yacht & Country Club
- Eva Barrios, CEC Executive Chef, Royal Oaks Country Club
- Richard Brumm, CEC, CCA, Director of Culinary Operations, Bonita Bay Club
- Melinda Burrows, CEC, CCA, Executive Chef, Hickory Hills Country Club
- Natasha Capper, CEPC, Executive Pastry Chef, Piedmont Driving Club
- Joseph Leonardi, CMC, AAC, Director of Culinary Operations, The Country Club
- Jonathan Moosmiller, CMC, AAC, Director of Food & Beverage, Southern Hills Country Club
- Tim Recher, CEC, AAC, CWX, Director of Culinary & Clubhouse Operations, Quail West Golf and Country Club
- Jerry Schreck, Executive Chef, Merion Golf Club, Ardmore, Pa.
- Brian J. Sode, CMC, AAC Executive Chef, The Bear’s Club
January 2021 Club + Resort Chef Digital Issue
Broken Crayons Still Color
Read article here
All Boats Rise with the Tide
Read article above
J. Kevin Walker, CMC, AAC
Executive Chef, Ansley Golf Club
- Paccheri Giovanna with Sage Ricotta
- Grilled Filet with Creamed Spinach, Truffle Whipped Potatoes, Pickled Tomatoes, Maytag Bleu Cheese
Olivier Andreini, CMC
Executive Chef, Bentwater Yacht & Country Club
Eva Barrios, CEC
Executive Chef, Royal Oaks Country Club
Richard Brumm, CEC, CCA
Director of Culinary Operations, Bonita Bay Club
Melinda Burrows, CEC, CCA
Executive Chef, Hickory Hills Country Club
- Chicken Mousseline Roulade with Chive Beurre Blanc, Butternut Squash Three Ways and Pan-Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Natasha Capper, CEPC
Executive Pastry Chef, Piedmont Driving Club
Joseph Leonardi, CMC, AAC
Director of Culinary Operations, The Country Club
Jonathan Moosmiller, CMC, AAC
Director of Food & Beverage, Southern Hills Country Club
Tim Recher, CEC, AAC, CWX
Director of Culinary & Clubhouse Operations, Quail West Golf and Country Club
- Red Wine Braise Short Rib Tomahawk with Burrata Whipped Aligot Potatoes, Whiskey-Glazed Carrots, and Braising Jus
Jerry Schreck, Executive Chef
Merion Golf Club, Ardmore, Pa.
Brian J. Sode, CMC, AAC
Executive Chef, The Bear’s Club