Yield: 60 biscotti
1/4 cup The Perfect Purée Lemon Zest, thawed
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
3 2/3 cups sugar
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
sanding or sparkling sugar, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one by one, and mix well until blended.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, and add to the butter-sugar-egg mixture.
- Add optional ingredients and mix until distributed throughout dough.
- Divide dough into four pieces. Roll each piece into 14-inch-long logs and flatten into rectangles.
- Place on baking sheets lines with parchment paper or sprayed with pan spray. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes or until you can handle the cookie loaves.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the loaves into biscotti, about ¾-inch wide.
- Place slices back on pan and bake for another 10 minutes, cut side down.
- Turn biscotti over, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- The goal is to dry out the cookies until they are crisp.
1 cup fondant (liquid fondant, not the kind used to cover cakes)
2 tbsp. The Perfect Purée Lemon Zest, thawed
- Heat fondant until melted, stir in Lemon Zest.
- Drizzle over biscotti.
Recipe courtesy of The Perfect Puree of Napa Valley