Nubb’s Maine Lobster Roll with Fennel-Citrus Vinaigrette
Recipe by Rick Shell, Executive Chef of Cliff House Maine resort, Cape Neddick, Maine
4 1.5 Pound Maine Lobsters
3 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 Tbsp. honey
1/3 cup EVOO
¼ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup thinly shaved fennel bulb, reserve some tops (fronds) for garnish
¼ cup finely sliced scallions
¼ cup washed celery leaves
2 tsp. hand torn fresh tarragon leaves
4 Tbsp. melted butter
4-6 New England Style split top hot dog buns
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lobster to the rapidly boiling water for 9 minutes, transfer to a large bowl of an iced water bath to completely cool. Remove lobster meat from the shells, rough chop the tail & claw meat, leave the knuckle meat whole.
- In a bowl whisk together the lemon juice, lemon zest and honey, slowly add in the EVOO in an even stream. Add in the celery, fennel and scallions.
- Wash the celery leaves, fennel tops and the tarragon, spin dry or let rest on a paper towel.
- Brush melted butter on both sides of the New England bun and lightly toast in a pan over medium heat.
- Just prior to filling the rolls, toss the lobster and the vinaigrette.
- Fill the toasted buns and garnish the tops of each roll with the celery leaves, fennel fronds and tarragon.