Peach and Pork Belly Skewer
By Colby Newman, Executive Chef, Amarillo (Texas) Country Club
5-8 # pork belly, skin removed
4 EA yellow onions, large dice
16 EA peaches, rice, large dice,
3 gal chicken stock, enough to cover the pork belly in the pan
To taste Togarashi (Japanese 7-spice blend)
To taste salt and pepper
As needed vegetable oil
- To make the pork belly, if in one piece cut in half into two equal parts.
- Score the fat side of the belly.
- Season heavily with the salt and togarashi.
- Heat vegetable oil in pan over medium high heat and sear scored fat side down until golden brown and some of the fat has rendered. Working in batches if necessary.
- Remove the pork from the pan and place in large roasting pan. Leave the fat in the searing pan.
- In searing pan, add half of the peaches and all of the onions and sauté until soft.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Pour liquid mixture over pork belly in roasting pan, making sure pork belly is fully submerged.
- Cover roasting pan with foil and place in oven at 325 degrees.
- Braise pork belly for 4-6 hours, checking every hour. When belly is fork tender remove from oven and cool until able to handle.
- Remove pork from liquid and place on cooling rack.
- Strain the braising liquid and reduce to one quart, making sure not to burn the sauce. Reserve for brushing skewers to grill.
- After pork has cooled cut into 1×1 inch cubes. Do the same with the remaining peaches. Build skewers to your liking.
- Grill skewers brushing with reserved liquid until hot.
- To Plate: Place one dollop of peach scallion puree (recipe follows) and slide spoon through it. Put two skewers down and top with grilled scallion chimichurri (recipe follows).
For Peach Scallion Puree:
1 bunch scallions, whites and greens, sliced thin
1 Tbsp. ginger, sliced thin
1 Tbsp. garlic, sliced thin
1 Tbsp. shallot, sliced thin
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp. sesame oil
4 EA peaches, grilled then sliced
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Heat vegetable oil sauté pan until smoking hot. Add ginger, garlic, and shallot stirring constantly. Do not burn!
- Add scallion and saute stirring constantly.
- Add sesame oil and sugar. Remove from heat stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- After cooling slightly, put in blender with peaches and puree. Drizzling in .5 cup of olive oil if too thick.
For Grilled Scallion Chimichurri:
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. oregano leaves, chopped
1/4 cup scallions, grilled
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 EA garlic, cloves
2 Tbsp. yellow onion, small dice
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 EA jalapeno, deseeded, small dice
2 cups olive oil
- Add all ingredients to a blender (except olive oil) and blend while slowly adding the olive oil until well blended.