1 # granulated sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup water
2 cups toasted, warm pecan pieces
1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons Villa Manodori Extra Virgin Olive oil with Rosemary
1 teaspoon baking soda – dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
2 tablespoons Fresh rosemary, chopped if desired
- In a heavy saucepan combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil and wash down the sides of the pot every few minutes. Cook to 300º F.
- Meanwhile toast the pecan pieces. Toss with the sea salt and olive oil as soon as you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool slightly.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the water.
- Add pecans to the sugar solution at 300° F, stir for about 10 seconds to coat the nuts. Add the butter and the baking soda solution (stir the solution before pouring it in to get the maximum benefit from the baking soda). Remove from heat; stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Stir in the fresh rosemary.
- Pour onto a Silpat, cover with another Silpat and roll to desired thickness.
- Cool completely and then serve as desired.
- Store in a cool dry place in an airtight container.
Recipe by Elena Clement, Executive Pastry Chef, Chevy Chase (Md.) Club