4 fillets (approx. 6 oz. each) Sunburst Rainbow Trout
1 Asiago Grits –see below
4 oz. Dry White Wine
1 teaspoon Shallots, minced
1.25 teaspoon Garlic, minced
2 oz. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced Cold unsalted butter, cubed
.5 teaspoon Parsley, finely chopped
.5 teaspoon Chives, finely cut
to taste salt
to taste pepper
- Skin and remove pin-bones from trout fillets. Cut each fillet in half. Reserve.
- Season trout fillets with salt and pepper. Sautee trout in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Cook to medium rare. Remove fillets and keep warm.
- Add shallots, garlic and white wine to sauce pan. Reduce mixture until liquid has reduced by 1/2. Add diced tomatoes, reduce heat to very low. Add cubed butter slowly creating an emulsion sauce.
- Once 3/4 of the butter is added and melted remove from heat add remaining butter and stir until all butter is incorporated. Add parsley and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Place a small portion of grits on your serving plate. Top grits with one full trout fillet. Liberally sauce fish and serve with your favorite green vegetable.
For Asiago Grits:
1.5 cups Shrimp or Chicken stock
1.5 cups Heavy cream
2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 cup Stoneground grits
2 oz. Unsalted butter
2 oz. Asiago Cheese
to taste Salt
to taste Black Pepper
- Place broth, heavy cream, salt, and into a saucepan and put over medium-high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Slowly whisk grits into the mixture.
- Reduce heat to a medium-low heat. Stir occasionally. Cook for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Add cheese and butter. Incorporate thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and keep warm
- Note: Grits should be soft and creamy. If they become “stiff” simply add a small amount of warm broth or water until the desired consistency is reached
Recipe provided by Patrick Colley, Executive Chef, Carolina Country Club, Raleigh, N.C.