24-36 Ea. oysters
1 Gal. Buttermilk
2/3 cup Kosher Salt
2 cups Black Pepper
2 cups Garlic Powder
2 cups Onion Powder
1/3 cup Old Bay
4 qts. AP Flour
2 ozs. Garlic Powder
2 ozs. Onion Powder
2 ozs. Old Bay
1/3 cup Kosher Salt
1/3 cup Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Shuck the oysters out of shell.
- Combine the marinade ingredients (buttermilk through Tabasco) in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour to cover the oyster and mix to make sure all of it is covered.
- Marinate for four hours.
- In a separate bowl, mix the breading flour ingredients together using a whisk.
- Taste the flour. It should be nicely seasoned.
- Drain the oyster in a perforated pan.
- Coat the oyster evenly in the flour mixture.
- Fry at 325°F until golden brown.
- Rest on raised rack and serve the original shell.
Recipe courtesy of Joe Piazza, Executive Chef, Country Club of Buffalo (N.Y.)